Hi there. I've been handling a piece of Actinolite for months without realizing that the white, powdery material on it is, indeed, asbestos. I'm trying not to go into full panic mode, but I'm wondering if I should be worried or concerned? Many thanks!
Thank you for contacting Healing Crystals with your question about the safety of handling Actinolite. As I am not a medical professional, I really cannot give you a firm answer on this. My best suggestion is that you speak with your physician. He or she may be able to put your fears to rest very quickly, or even be able to do a test to see if you have asbestos from the Actinolite in your system or lungs. Be sure to tell your doctor exactly how you have been using the Actinolite--for example, holding it, or making an elixir, etc. This will better help him or her pinpoint possible toxic exposure. You could be absolutely fine, but it's always better to check with something like asbestos.
Also, I would suggest storing the Actinolite in an individual display box or case to contain the white powder you described as being on its surface. Additionally, I am putting a link here to our list of "Crystal Cautions" which gives a list of crystals and potential toxic ingredients. Many of these crystals are safe to handle, but should not be used to make elixirs or to directly charge water. (You can still make elixirs with them using the indirect method)
I hope this information has been helpful to you. And of course, if you have any further questions regarding crystals or crystal healing, please feel free to contact us again.
Join us on Facebook - www.facebook.com/crystaltalk
I am not a medical professional and can neither diagnose illness nor prescribe medical treatments. Crystals should not be used as a replacement for medical care, but rather used as a complimentary therapy along with the treatment prescribed by your licensed medical professional.